PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 24 April 2015

He Died To Save The Earth. No. Really....

Now I am not sure why but when I found these it had a sticker on the back of page one that read "inks Dilworth".  I am guessing that came off of something else!

You see, these are NOT Ben R. Dilworth inks or lettering.

Let's get into explanations.

You'll note the date on The Avengers monument reveals the date of his death as 1992.  For delays before publication I usually date everything a year ahead.  So, this would have been inked in 1991 at least.  I think I drew the pencils in 1989?


There's a little oike (derived from "bloke" and "idiot") who has been telling people (offline as far as I can tell since he knows if he starts up his little games again he is in BIG trouble) that I am talking crap about when Return of the Gods: Twilight of the Super Heroes/"Invasion 1987" not to mention The Ultimate Game  began/happened/ whatever.  I have no idea what this is even about since my recorded history in comics is searchable online.  Also, I have all the existing artwork, scripts and even the my-company correspondence regarding these projects.

I guess some people just like being made to look arses.

Page 10...I do have page 10 "somewhere" -the original and an A4 copy.  But can I find them?  I will, though.  I just thought that I might treat you to the unedited pages of the aftermath of the Boarman Invasion which was later detailed in Return.  Of course, this never happened in the BT Universe (well, not now!) but it was nice for me to see the old characters.

And who inked it?  A fellow by the name of Dean Willets who, in the 1980s did a great deal of strip work for Martin Lock's Harrier Comics.  Dean also worked on a couple of the pocket-sized fantasy books from "the Scottish company whose name may not be spoken" and he drew issue 1 of The Survivor that I wrote and would have been linked into the whole Invasion saga.  And, Dean also drew the first issue of The Cosmic Fulcrum which went on to become Return.

Dean's inking style is very recognisable -even over my scrawling pencils!  It is fair to say that he was an artist that really SHOULD have gone on to draw for Marvel or DC and he certainly deserves a better mention in UK comics history.

I did find Dean again on Face Book a few years back but he vanished.  As far as I know he does not draw comics any more and that truly makes me sad.  A great talent.

So, here are the pages:










4 comments:

  1. Wow. These are really nice pages. Beautiful lettering and nice solid black finishing. You and this guy/girl should've pushed for more 'cos this is cool !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looong story. But if I can find the pages he inked of Cosmic Fulcrum (that I coloured) I'll post some. My crap pencils show through because, unlike you, he stuck rigidly to them rather than correct them. The hack and the pro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well... I never thought of myself as a hack,but....
    No. This work is nice though. It does point out ( to me ) that the right way to do stories is in nice clear black tones. I keep trying to do it and I keep slipping back into doing what I do ! Argh. Never mind. Time to go clean up the place a bit. Seeya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh? Who called you a hack? oh, I see. No, if you remember (or not) there was a bit of a joke between Andrew Yoxall (Van Buren), Shane Oakley and myself where I said I was a comic hack. I'm sure it was hilarious at the time. But I do the job and leave before the husband gets back...I mean by the time the cheque is cashed....payment....wow...memories.....

    ReplyDelete