PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Wednesday 10 June 2015

And What Of Mary Tourtel?

 http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/womenincomics/images/b/b7/Rupert_Tourtelportrait.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20110807084820
Mary Tourtel, née Caldwell (b. Canterbury, Kent, 28 January 1874; d. 15 March 1948) was the creator of the long-running comic strip Rupert Bear.

THE most famous comic strip bear!  And there is an excellent article on Mary Tourtel over at the Women In Comics page: http://womenincomics.wikia.com/wiki/Mary_Tourtel

See, lads....they been sneakin' in all these years!

1 comment:

  1. I had a Mary Tourtel Rupert and I'm annoyed that I haven't any more !! I had to sell some books in desperate times . ARRGH ! And I forgot Dale Messick ( Brenda Starr the reporter ) and Tarpe Mills who created Miss Fury , an action character who , I think , just predates Wonder Woman . I'm sure there are a lot more female cartoonists who are/were out there , but I seriously will now have to find that book . I'm already missing my Australian book of ghosts called 'Shudders And Shakes' , so now that's a second book I have to hunt for .

    ReplyDelete