PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 12 June 2015

I Never Go South Of Watford Without A Grease-Gun!


In 1987 comics were getting to be "hip" (again) and John Lloyd took a look at comics, in part, in what might seem to be a bit of an artsy-fartsy documentary but is well worth watching.

After decades we see Watchmen,Dave Gibbons, Love & Rockets, The Dark Knight Returns and Neil Gaiman as the main source in so many comic book documentaries and TV features you have to ask yourself "What the feck about EVERYTHING ELSE?!!"

Ooh, Forbidden Planet in Denmark Street, London.  This is the one where I off-loaded about 20 copies of Previews Comic 1, 2 and 3 (so 60 books in total and each 62-80pp) and when I went back with my receipt invoice was told "Don't recognise that signature"  I even spoke to the **** manager who took the books.  Nothing.

Crooks.  I say no more.  See the grease ball with Lloyd? Igor Goldkind.  Anyone got anything nice to say about him?  Me? I'm using all my self control to not vomit over my screen.



It is nostalgic to see a smooth-as-a-bum faced Neil Gaiman...here with Dave McKean.



And let us not forget a baby-faced Dave Gibbons -name a comic book documentary he has NOT been in?



There was also a treat in the rather, dare I say "staged" (ahem), meeting with 1980s zine goddess Myra Hancock.  Now I kept saying I had never met Myra but when I watched this I realised that I had.  We had a ten minutes long chat at a Westminster comic mart.

Anyway, Myra selling her books on the cold, Thatcher-ridden streets on 1980s London.

Still selling the books!


 And Myra in a rather nice looking room working on her art!



I bet you want to watch this piece of comic book nostalgia now don't you?  Warning: there is a very bad theatre play scene....the, uh, "super hero" and a villain, to publicise the play, burst into Westminster Comic Mart doing their yak-yak and 'fighting'.  I am proud to say that not one person paid the slightest attention.  Watch the excerpt from the play and you'll see why!

Ladies and gentlemen....
                               

South of Watford - Attack of the Killer Comics   




6 comments:

  1. Where do you find these things ? Now I have to put up one in my next post too.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Title a reference to Sherlock Holmes: 'The Creeping Man', perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do I find these things? I walk the path of Counter Actuality. hehehe. Sepp:no. I've always said in Bristol I never go south of the river (take your pick) without a grease gun. I think it came from an old American war film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Well, the quote I was remembering wasn't Conan Doyle anyway, but only in the Jeremy Brett version.

      Delete
  4. Damn. Only done a bit of typing but my eye sight. Even my keyboard is blurry. Age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been taking Taurine for quite some time now and any foods that contain proanthocyanidins. Extracts that can be obtained via capsule as opposed to eating the fruit. How would this sit with your meds or your diet and especially funding? I noticed that, recently, I have been able to tolerate less eye work, so I may be going back on them to see if there is any difference. I take it you may have a significant limitation on fruit/anything with fruit sugars? Trying to think of anything else.

      Delete