PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 2 June 2019

Oh, I am famous. Famous but poor!

Wow. The photo date stamp tells me that this photo taken while I was drawing Worlds Within Words (Part 1 of The Doctor Morg Trilogy) is from 2005.



This is the original and very limited print run Small Press version as opposed to the complete story in Journey of the ID:The Dr Morg Trilogy.

Probably the saddest thing in this photo is my hair. I have no idea where it all went. One day I am the luxuriant, flowing locks and "Samson of Comics" then...Elmer Fudd.

Of course, if I went back to 2005 I'd tell me not to faint and that it really is not worth all the effort drawing mind boggling psychological stories...so to stick with comics.

I was asked once why I do not have any of my own art hanging in The Hallway of Art and the answer is simple -I am not that egot. Sales I appreciateistical as to think MY art deserves to be alongside that of Terry Bave, Mike West, ern, John Cooper, Donna Barr and others.

It's rather like my comics -I once astounded someone by not knowing the detail he was yapping about on page 25!  Working on a book is intense and you can throw away (recycle actually) pages before something looks right. You may juggle the pages about to make a story work better and then there are the hours of editing before publishing by which time I want to tear up and burn every page (I ain't the only artist feels that way). So, a year or two or even five along the line you think I am going to remember page 25 of one book out of...90(?).

The other problem is that I do not really like my own work. Ben Dilworth once said: "You are going to create a comics masterpiece one day and say 'it looks  okay' and next day you'll say 'it's utter s****!'"  Well, Mr Dilworth...all of my comics are masterpieces!!!!  Ahem.

There is one thing that I cannot stand and it embarrasses the hell out of me -praise. I was shocked to find out that a well known writer was a "fan" of my work,  He even asked for a sketch so I sent a page and he was "blown away"...?!  In fact, I know three writers who are all fairly well known and regularly appear on TV who are fans. I don't get it and you cannot really be rude to people who say these things. Another writer has a blog image I was asked to draw.

Of course, none of that matters because, despite their having mentioned my work on their blogs, there have been no sales. Sales I appreciate! :-)

I have been in conference with university professors and had at least two have asked "Are you the Terry Hooper publishes the comics? My students said I must ask" and another asked me to sign a copy of an old zine of mine.

So, my big question is this: Why am I not rich?

Even "moderately well off" will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment