PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 1 April 2018

Cinebook The 9th Art: Alone 8 -The Arena


Authors: Fabien Vehlmann; illustrated by Bruno Gazzotti
Age: 10 years and up
Size: 21.7 x 28.7 cm
Number of pages: 56 colour pages
Publication: January 2018
Alone 8 - The Arena
ISBN: 9781849183826
Price: £7.99 inc. VAT

Captured by a mysterious army just as they escaped a Campton overrun with ‘zombie’ children, Dodzi’s group, along with what’s left of the Clan of the Shark, discover an entire civilisation, ruled over by children who have been in the In-Between-World for a long, long time.

Strict rules, a caste system, bizarre superstitions... All new obstacles for the group to overcome – although Saul is being treated like a messiah. And over it all hangs the threat of the sinister Midnight Child...

I read through this and found I had no idea what was going on! Nothing wrong with the book but the last volume was out in June of 2017 so the nine (9) months delay has killed the spontaneity and flow of the story.  Marvel and DC –and other companies- have lost sales through this same kind of problem. I went back to my review of Alone 7 and found blogger had somehow (again) deleted my whole review!

I am not reading 1-7 again!

The art and characterisation are good and I do know that this series hooked me originally but after 9 months the emotional investment in characters and story are faded.  

Please, Cinebook –learn from the lesson in delays in books that the other companies have: long delays cost you readers.  Even a major Love & Rockets fan like me just gave up because of delays in that book.

So nice art and story but I’m totally lost –I read a couple hundred books a year so you’ll have to excuse me.

No comments:

Post a Comment