PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Monday 2 April 2018

Cinebook The 9th Art: Valerian and Laureline -Memories From The Futures


Authors: Mézières & Christin
Age: 12 years and up
Size: 21.7 x 28.7 cm
Number of pages: 56 colour pages
Publication: February 2018
ISBN: 9781849183383
Price: £7.99 inc. VAT


Even though Valerian and Laureline’s adventures have come to an end, there are still many chapters that haven’t been told yet. Simple episodes, post-scriptums to their main stories, moments of their lives seen through the eyes of their friends, their allies, or even their enemies. Here’s a collection of vignettes that will cast a new light – sometimes funny, sometimes touching – on the saga of our heroes.

Now, I think if you have visited CBO often enough you know that I am a big fan of Valerian and Laureline. Going back to when I first read the stories in the old Zack comic in Germany.  I even purchased the only three editions to have appeared in English.  And when Cinebook announced they were publishing the series I nearly flipped.

According to Europcomics:

"Memories From the Futures, 22nd volume of the series ‘Valerian and Laureline,’ is a superb homage to a saga that has turned upside-down both our vision of the future and the role of women in comics. The saga had come to a close in the previous volume with a temporal loop to which only the authors hold the key. In this new volume, authors Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mézières play the role of intergalactic tourists, revisiting some of their heroes’ most remarkable adventures. In addition to adding a few sublime pages to Alflolol, they return to Central Point, as well as taking us back to a time when Laureline, a wild young woman, had yet to be seduced by spatio-temporal agent Valerian. Back to the future in comics’ first space opera!"

I cannot believe that I am writing this but my whole reaction to the book was "meh". To me it seemed like one of those TV series filler episodes -flashbacks galore. I like the art but it really just did seem to be a filler. I've read it twice and feel the same and that frustrates me. Perhaps, in a future reading, I’ll feel different I have no idea but usually getting a book in this series gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.



No comments:

Post a Comment