PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 7 July 2020

Some Old Black Tower Comic Covers

Just found the cover scans to these BTCG Adventure (volume 1) Nos. 52, 53 and 54 and oh sweet Fanny Craddock on a biscuit is my memory off!

No. 52 clearly shows the date box -"Sept 2000".  No. 53 was October 2000 and No. 54 was November 2000 and not 2003 as I thought!

These were from the colour covers run and the last, after Lis and Jen, Classic Western Action and Classic Adventure to come from my Canon FC220 desk top photocopier which had cost £200 and each toner cartridge cost (as refills) £50 whereas in Ryman and other stores it cost £160-175 per new cartridge.  Far too expensive to be kept going -especially since certain retailers simply refused to pay for the copies they sold and that includes a certain zine service that came along (£65 I was owed by them).



"The Ten Dancing Monkies" storyline included a little parallel Earth action, Wagner the Werewolf, Melmoth the Wanderer, the Monk and other old Penny Dreadful characters.  I no longer have a copy of No. 55, yellow cover, that concluded the story nor the original art.



Here is one that was ahead of its time. No. 53 introduced the illegitimate son of Chronos the Watchman.  "Chronos" having never fully recovered from injuries sustained while fighting the Dark Lord Kaos found his son had been chosen (no choice really) to assume the role on Gull Island. His son was "black". From the very outset Black Tower had many characters of (I hate this term) "ethnic background"  -Arabic, African, Afro Carribean, Chinese, Japanese and soon.  Notice the little "GB made" sticker at the bottom left.

At the time I had no computer programs or way to add text to strips or add text and design covers so it all looks pretty rough now!

The Skeleton Horseman (yes, I do have the very thick book containing this Penny Dreadful classic) along with his team of Red Hand and Paul Peril almost met the SGG in 1746 while battling Lord Perish in The Master Plan of Lord Perish which included a giant armoured mechani-man. Quite a few fans of Adventure and not just in the UK.

I had completely forgotten the "Little Terry" with the "It's Fun!" -since 2009 I've simply used "Comics Are Fun!"





Zine Zone No. 4, April, 1987. Lovely Terry Ford cover used to promote his strip in an issue of Previews comic...I think it was titled "Egg Chase". I was thinking about reprinting it as part of the Black Tower Anniversary however I have no copies of any of the 5 Previews and the art was photocopy not originals.

Jeezo I've wasted my life! 😆

But that is my latest find.

2 comments:

  1. Wasted my life? No. just the opposite. Keep the past alive and support the future. Isn't that the whole ball game? Gotta love a creative life! TTFN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder at times. I coulda been a bank robber and earned a few quid!

    ReplyDelete