PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 22 October 2020

In A Room Where German Schlager Hits Fill The Void A Mustek A3 Pro Scanner Dies

 The alternative title was "Make Mine Mustek!"


Not been well the last few days but I cannot abide just sitting down or lying back and doing nothing.  So I decided to scan some pages.

Unfortunately, my rapidly dying PC appears to have been jopined by my A3 Mustek Pro scanner (which I've used since 2006) and my Canon A4 scanner/printer. After three hours I'm too exhausted so I'll try working on both scanners tomorrow.

If any company wants to offer an A3 scanner in return for a review and nice mention get in touch 

Everyone is now rushing to offer an A3 scanner or PC/laptop. How will I tell them all "no thank you" after the first few arrive?

😜😜😜😜😜😜😝😝😝😝😝

The Mustek A3 Pro I purchased in 2006 along with a PC. The problem was that all the pagres I wanted to copy were A3 and I work "old school" with paste-ups.  I took the pages to a printer for photocopying and was tol;d 30 pages would be copied "in four weeks".  There then followed a conversation during which I pointed out that if their business was that good they did not need mine so I'd go elsewhere. Suddenly, my pages would bve copied that afternoon. There was also a discussion about the paste-ups since those pages would need to be copied off individually a you cannot autofeed pages with paste-ups in case any come off in the copier itself.

So, that afternoon I went back to the printers and in one bag were my A3 originals and in a taped up bag my A4 copies (these I could then scan and edit at home). Which is what I tried to do...guess what? Yup, the complete arschlochs at the printers had not individually copied the pages but autofed them into the machine.  Suddenly, a paste up from page 20 appeared at an angle on several other pages and then I found items pasted onto pages were gone.

The printer apologised and offered no explanation. I took other pages there on a second occasion and the ame thing happened despite emphasising repeatedly that these were all paste-up pages. I was told (I stayed in the shop checking all the pages before I left) that the pages had not been autofed. At this point one of the other printers came from the back with pages to copy and at the machine turned to the liar I was talking to and asked "What are these in the autofeed?" Oh, how amazing: paste-up items from my pages -and there were other bits in the machine itself as hee found out while trying to copy stuff. My responbse was "I would not come back here to photocopy my ass".

I had found that one copy shop (rare things in Bristol now but there were about 10 just i9n the central area at one point) after another screwed up and blamed anyone but themselves. "Excuse me but there are thick white lines running through these pages" response: "Oh, that will be your pages" (my solid black art pages). Horrible faded copies were, I was told, "probably something to do with your pages" at which point I explained to them that their toner was running out. Questions about my awkwardness as a customer then someone checked "Toner is out". Odd marks on my pages and they were clearly from the platten as I pointed out and the copier man looked at me and asked "The what?" I replied: "Thje platten" but he looked blankly at me. "The glass you put the pages down on to copy?" Him: "Oh. I doubt it as we clean the machine daily" (what a load of ****). So I took a paper hanky and wiped it over the platten -dirt and hair showed up nicely.

I had given up on copier shops and printers but had only an A4 scanner -even my old Canon FC220 desk tyop copier was only A4.  I bit the bullet and spent the £130 on the Mustek A3 Pro. Beautiful scans from it.

Black Tower Adventure (volume 2) -all scanned using the Mustek. Well, any book you see from Black Tower -all 163 of them used the Mustek. Yes, the 8 prose books are word docs however all of the images within are scanned so...

Photographs, text documents, artwork in black and white, greyscale or colour I found no other canner as good a the Mustek A3 Pro and I would recommend it.

I'm now waffling.

Time to rest and see whether I can get either scanner to work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment