PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 11 December 2014

An Official Announcement



Sad day but I knew it was coming for a while.

As of today, 11th December, 2014, Black Tower Comics & Books will be dropping the “UK” and all UK ties that might exist.

Most people in comics and the Small Press, as I’ve noted before, do so but not as their main business/income.  The majority have well paid jobs so what they make from comics is extra money from a hobby –however much they love comics.  It is not an insult aimed at those people because they have every right to produce and sell comics and if they have fun then why not?

Although I enjoy drawing and putting comics together that is the fun part but I never lose sight of the fact that it is a publishing business.  I need to pay bills, eat and I have no pension fund.  I refer to the books I sell as “stock” and it is stock to sell pure and simple.

Now, all the Black Tower Comics & Books are top grade printing and packaged to a high standard.  Lots of pages, too, for what are by no means high prices. I price fair and I believe that if someone is going to buy your books then you have to give them something good –you are taking their money after all!

My last  experiences of UK events have shown that covering every genre from horror comics, action, adventure, sci fi and super heroes as well as prose from what they now call “World Mystery” subject matter, wildlife and even English Haiku just does not work. It’s giving a wide choice of quality and low priced books.

People I gave copies to were asked for their thoughts and all came back with the quality, etc., but said there was nothing similar at events.  People might be put off by the comic album (A4) format.  But as I point out –if these people read TV guides or any other magazine then they are familiar with the format size.  Prices were, they thought, very fair.

But when I asked about presentation at events there was no complaint though it was obvious there was something.  So I pressed the point.  “Some buyers might be put off because there are not that many out there your age publishing comics” and, in fact, it is something I suspected when I spoke to people myself –the odd looks when I said I wrote and drew such-and-such a title.  It really is very obvious.

There are creators in the US and Europe producing well past my ancient age of 58 years.  I’ve even been told by a family member “You’re sixty in two years: shouldn’t you be packing this in?”

WHY is the attitude in the UK so crass?  Why is it Europeans and Americans have no problem with someone who is not a 20-30 something hipster trendy?

Forty years I’ve been in comics and I have helped many creators get their careers off the ground or helped them in harder times.  No, I do not ever expect “oh thank you, Terry. Thank you!” BUT I have expected some loyalty. 

When I hit really bad times and was desperate for work I asked if these people might be kind enough to just “put my name out there”?  No.  In fact, some actually made sure I did not get work.  I don’t forget those acts.

All the people whose books I’ve promoted and publicised continuously: “Could you just mention I have this new book out, please?”  No.  Some got books and as far as I know they were used for toilet paper.

A recent correspondent asked why I was on European and US data bases and sites as a recognised creator of graphic novels, comics –including two best sellers from another publisher- and prose books yet there was nothing about me in the UK?  He found it hard to believe that any entry on me re. the Small Press or British comics was deleted within 48 hours as I ”have contributed nothing of significance” to either.  He wrote a Wikipedia entry on me.  Gone within 24 hours –same reason for deletion.

I thought for creators rights, I got creators work and good pay, I helped them out, I promoted the UK Small Press in Europe and the US.  Recognition or thanks –none.

There is absolutely no support in the UK nor recognition so, yes, it’s annoying.  I’d sooner have sales but the books just do not work with the current mindset of dilettante comic buyers.

I cannot afford to buy stock (I have a big box full next to me right now worth over £400) and travel to events, pay table costs and sell nothing.  I am over £1000 out this year and that is a battering no one can take.  Comics are my business.  No support, no sales means “jump ship now!!”

Although I wanted to get to Thought Bubble, Birmingham, etc., I just cannot.  At 0700 hours this morning I was all in to just retire from comics.  In fact, I am now semi-retired.  I cannot do this any more.

Look at how Europe treats its creators and Finland in particular –as Bristol’s Paul Ashley Brown will confirm- totally and utterly different.  Like a different reality.

I would sooner not add my name to the long list of old comic creators who have died penniless.  I’ve put in four decades and it has been one long continuous struggle. As I keep telling people: “I’m a professional. A stupid-cannot-learn-his-lesson-moron but a professional.

I am totally burned out and there is no fight left in me.  I used to keep fighting back but see how many times you can run into a brick wall before you think enough is enough.

The online store has a hell of a lot of books.  That will stay up and running and I am looking at getting my books into Europe in 2015.   But that is it.

CBO should still continue as a hobby until I’ve had enough.

Right now I am too depressed but it’s ended.

Mt Face Book page will be left as it is but and I will not be responding to posts there.  Most people there have my email address.  It’s a dead page.  Neither will I respond to comments on CBO on this matter.

Europe, China and the USA provide the majority of views on CBO  so 2015 will see me try to utilise that audience but if it goes bad like the UK then 2015 will see the end of Black Tower as well as CBO.

No comments:

Post a Comment