PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 11 December 2014

Boy, Have The Finns Got It Right.

Mr Brown, after his rousing trip to Suomi-Finland, handed me two newspaper sized comics.  One was the slightly larger than A3 Kuti #25.  This issue had some great black and white and colour strips in it plus an article on the Flemish (Belgium) Small Press.



This is Simon Haus's contribution -photo (c)2014 Simon Haus.

But what just made me sit back in a heap, totally blown away (I don't write that often) was the July-Christmas issue of Kuti -#34.  I have taken this image from the web as my A3 scanner....well, the pages do not fit on it.  The cover is not as bright yellow as this but more a tint of yellow.


Now you may wonder why a page will not fit on my A3 scanner?  Well, Kuti #34 is A2 so like one of the old Tome newspapers.

I flipped through this several times.  The cover story continues throughout the publicationnd is just superb.  At the bottom of each page is an English translation.  But I just....I was amazed by the art and at that size -there are pages involving huge sets of steps and to draw and shade all of those...incredble

Suomi-Finland is not a massively populated country by any means and yet they can produce so many comics, newspaper comics and graphic novels.

It really is a totally different attitude -as I pointed out in my Pekka A. Manninen interview I really need to get to that country!

My THANKS to Mr Brown for these two gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment