PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Wednesday 10 March 2021

The Pixie Policeman and Fairies

 A word of caution. If you think that buying a high priced Gerald Swan annual or book on Ebay -or from sellers that charge Ebay prices- and that means you can sell it for more -forget it.

Interest in the albums is quite low but people do get sucked in my the "VERY rare" and "extremely rare" claims of sellers. There is a conner out there whose copy of one album has been £1000 for a very long time...no one biting! Having hit financial insecurity I found that none of the sellers would buy good quality copies of the albums that, according to them, can be priced high and they will be snatched up. I was told more than once "its a buyers (ie Seller's) market".

It was good to find a roughly A6 Swan story comic and as they were never dated the best the seller could do was "1940s-1950s" and even though it is No. 58 it does not appear in Gifford's guides (as he included other story papers that is odd). I believe this is post war but needs more research.

The stories, as you will see, are typed and obviously pasted up columns of text with the odd lovely illustration.

Above and below: the A6 Fairies booklet with a US sized comic and the A4 Black Tower Super Heroes for scale.
Below: The Pixie Policeman and illo enlargement



As with Swan comics the Fairies Albums were all reprinted material from the A6 booklets and I have a few of those and they always make me smile! 

So how much did I pay? £5.00 and I can tell you now that I only paid that because I wanted an example for my archive. I would love to say that this is going to make me a fortune IF I resold it but I won't and since there were no takers on Ebay other than me for this one I think I'd be letting myself in for a big disappointment if I did try a re-sell!!

3 comments:

  1. That Fairies cover looks like a Norman Pett.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably David Williams but none of the illoes are credited --though they are in the albums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Williams, hmm, I shall - as a friend of mine once put it - imwestigate. From what I can see, a similar style.

      Delete