PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Wednesday 18 January 2023

A Folder of Comic Stuff

 Back in the mid 1980s (1987?) I called on Gil Page Managing Editor at Fleetway in London. He was there with another editor -I cannot recall his name but tallish with a moustache.

I went through the usual artists portfolio (as I was then a creators agent) and a couple other items out of my bag. Gil's eye was caught by another folder in my bag "What's that then?" he asked. I told him it was just my notes, sketches and ideas for personal projects and his colleague asked to have a look see.

After about twenty minutes of chatting and talking through the material the moustached fella looked at Gil: "Where was he in the hey-day?" I was a bit confused until it was explained that out of the 30 or so projects in the folder they would both have taken at least 15 of them and had a couple others on standby. I was informed (a lot of good it did me in 1987) that when Fleetway was still big into publishing I would have been in full time employment.

I was asked how I got my ideas and I told them both that they sprung to mind. I told them even something mundane I could turn into a story so they tried me out and I came up with ideas. Then I was asked to come up with a story "some grass blowing in a breeze" I was told. I gave three ideas -one was sci fi, one horror and one action all beginning with a close up of wind blown grass.

Archie Goodwin who I met at a UK Comic Art Convention in London also had a look through my projects (I think he was editing Epic at the time(?). He told me "You have enough here to keep a medium sized comic publisher going for more than a year!" he told me. What happened? A clue: I had baked beans as a main meal today😂

One folder out of a box full of stuff. Camera old and crap and some of the ideas have been used. These are all notes and sketches I make quickly while awake at night and thinking of ideas. These are projects that, if I could afford to pay artists, Black Tower would be publishing for the next five years.













No comments:

Post a Comment