PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Monday 18 January 2021

Do Not Give Up



 Without triggering any of the idiots out there and their opinions on cinema, I think that the Russian movie Guardians showed that you can do Russian super heroes -I ought to point out that I was publishing "Soviet" super heroes (Red Star Squadron)back in the early 1980s and that got a lot of nonsensical criticism (including that I was "obviously" a Communist!!).

At the same time I also published Chinese super heroes. (The Phoenix Team) -in fact both teams met up and did not fight each other but cooperated on taking down the Salamander and his attempt to start a PRC -USSR war.

Those characters have continued to appear, despite political changes, etc., since that time. 

It was not really anything deliberate, there was no "plan" -I grew up in a multicultural area of Bristol and so characters reflected this. I had stories set in other countrioes and so African, Indian, European and other nationalities popped up and according to the late Gil Page (former Managing Editor of Fleetway, IPC) what I produce were "multicultural comics -the sort ofthing we ought to be doing but the money isn't there!" Hey, that means I was "woke" before any of you lot!! (probably because I was working in comics before most of 'em were born).

But the point is, where ever you are, do not let anyone tell you that you cannot produce a super hero comic based in your country.

Look at what is available for story telling -locations, myths, legends and if you produce good comics "they shall appear and buy them" (I'm still waiting!).

Do not give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment