PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 28 August 2015

Straight Outta Ashton Vale

Just continuing the gangsta theme.  Mind you, I am currently listening to the fantastic Christine and the Queens, from France.

I ramble in the bramble while others scramble. Kah-chaaa!

Only problem cosplaying Tarzan when you walk to the shops or sit on a bus is the willy tends to pop out a lot.

Ahhhh.  Yes, scarily, not in a great deal of pain at the moment but I'm sure that will change when I wake up properly.

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

ah. There we go.

So, before anyone calls the police and tells them I'm sitting naked on the roof singing let's get to the point.  Hang on.....YES!  Yes got the postman with a piece of the chimney.


above; 54mm Crescent hollow lead

Anyway, it has been pretty grim on the comics front for a while and so I've been relaxing by painting up some old toy soldiers and finding out what makes they were -I've had some of these things 40 years and last night I spent three hours trying to identify cowboys.  My old hollow lead ones are, of course, Britain's.  I also have a couple of the 1960s plastic Crescent cowboys.

below 1960s Crescent 60mm phot: Kent Owen Sprecher and Toy Soldier HQ Inc -http://www.angelfire.com/biz/toysoldierhq/Crescent.html
 
But the biggest pain-in-the-arsch was a set of seven figures (one without a horse but I have that in a box).  I looked for every make and type of plastic cowboy from the 1950s to the 1960s made in the UK. Nothing.

There was, however, a distinctive look.  With most cowboy figures the neckerchief has the main part usually at the front or to the side (figures 4 and 6 above).  However, with the tie-knot and 'tails' at the front is a mainly European look such as from Elastolin (and, no, I do not have these!):
Europeans seem to like this more formal look -even tewart Granger, actor and man of style displayed this -here Winnetou has a chat with Old Surehand (oo-er!) Stewart Granger who has his knot and 'tails' proudly on show!

But these were not Elastolin.  Then I had this idea: "Terry, why not turn them over and look at their bases?"  and I then banged my head repeatedly on the table -that might explain why this post started the way it did.  Bugger.

So, the blue plastic cowboy (the paint hardly existent on it now) base had "W. Germany" stamped on it.  d'uh!  The others, in a cream plastic, had numbers -1, 3 and 5 (I know there are others here "somewhere"!).  And "Made in Hong Kong" which confused me.  However, with "made in W. Germany" stamped on them I had a clue -I've written books on things that started out with less!

Jean Höfler.  A German manufacturer of Burghaslach in "Middle Franconia". Renamed BIG in 1962.  1960s and it seems some production may -well, obviously!- have gone to Hong Kong though I am not sure if this was legit the figures WERE sold in Germany in the 1960s and that would not have been allowed (legally) without BIG permission.

Miniatures.de has some info on these: http://www.miniatures.de/jean-hoefler-421-cowboys.html

So, I have figures from Set 1 (below) and here is the Winnetou link because the second figure (blue) in row two was rumoured to be based on Granger -it's stated that a lot of figures seem based on stills from Western movies so......?
undefined

And set 2 -brother Mike did a nice paint job on my version of the first figure in row one  -with checked shirt (cowboy not Mike).
undefined 
You want to grovel to me then send me Höfler  (one US site writes it "Hoeffler") figures!  I also have a few other figures including knights that seem to be Höfler.

But you sit there asking what this has to do with comics?

Well, in the photo I uploaded to Army Men Home Page, I have my (re-issued) Timpo Cowboys on a shelf next to my Charbens 60mm "Ancient Romans" and next to those are 1990s 50mm astronauts and behind them is the Deluxe Edition of Winnetou starring Pierre Brice and Stewart Granger and that was sent to me by German blogging supremo Subzero!

You see? Synchronicity, man.  Synchronicity (and I don't mean that 1980s album by The Police).

Off for a coffee....then finish off the zombies...toy zombies obviously.

8 comments:

  1. Oh yeah,I'd forgotten about painting cowboys! Blimey, that was...twenty years ago? I was painting anything with a stand back then, and doing so brilliantly, of course. It was a black and red check shirt, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, red shirt and black lines. I'm sure you did others but all I have is that one and the ones need hands/guns replaced using Green Stuff. If you are interested in painting 1/72 scale I have 45,786 figures you can do....it can't be that far off. Need a display cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I need a huge shed to put them in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only soldiers I ever had were Trojans made by Britains. Still have them in a big box somewhere. I think they are about two - two and a half inches tall.

      Delete
  4. Yes, Britain's Trojans. They were on display in the 7 foot high 4 glass sided cabinet in Jones' in Broadmead. It is still my intention to one day track these down -some Americans recast these in alloy to make up more. The Americans are doing what the Germans -and ages ago British- used to do. I'd do home casting but eyes and fingers...yiii!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just out of curiosity I had a look on e-bay and, lo, there were some advertised. However, without close examination, there's no way of telling if they are the sixties' ones, since you say they were later recast. Dad brought Trojans into the house when he came back from work one evening. Still I kept with my sketch pads and pencils and used them as models !! I never mounted mock battles with them and are unscarred. Mind you, the spears wouldn't chart a decent course. I based an ink stamp design on one of the horses when one could get them made by Rubber Whammy.

      Delete
  5. No. When I say re-cast I mean people are doing that now using home made molds and lead or whatever material they like. It used to be an every day thing years ago. Still have some Prinz August flats of horse men (only about 3 now) that were molded by a kid and sold for a few pfennigs at a market. NEVER staged a battle???? Those warriors were mistreated!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mebbe I did once. . . perhaps . . . a sword fight. I couldn't suspend my disbelief, OK? I could in a sketch pad. Trying to 'stage a battle' with models made me feel self conscious and weird, because another part of my brain was asking me, " what the hell are you doing? ". ( just imagine little Niles and little Frasier, you'll get the idea ) However I was fascinated with space craft and built model sets because I was enamoured with the SFX of Derek Meddings and Brian Johnson and I also built a model TARDIS console. Zat OK?

      Delete