PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 13 September 2020

Ahh, Gotta Love Old Comics


 I have already catalogue all of my UK weekly comics covering the 1950s -2000s and to prove a point a great number are D C Thomson titles -including the 2000s rather lack lustre editions.  This should not be too surprising since Thomson and AP/Fleetway/IPC were the UKs "Big Two".

The images of the comics I showed in yesterday's post total over 200. Looking at the old list I must have a couple thousand UK weeklies including the "new" Eagle, 2000 AD and Battle/Battle Action Force. I am not including the Marvel weeklies here. I do have a full set of the Avengers Weekly which is over140 issues alone.

I think I am missing one issue of Warrior monthly.

What is noticeable, because I DO read all of these comics, is how the "new editorships" from the late 1970s seem to have let the rot in. Quality of comics and contents decline -2000 AD was a title (unbelievably) that Fleetway could not wait to get rid of because sales had slumped to an all-time low.

Well, "you get the comics you deserve" is how one Fleetway manager once put it to me. True.



No comments:

Post a Comment