PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Monday 7 September 2020

create and enjoy comics and art!

Several points to make based around what appear to be popular misconceptions of what I 'think' or have 'said'

(1) He hates D C Thomson and all of its books

Hmm. People seem to confuse my lack of respect for certain editors and how they ruined title for hating Thomson (Dundee Editions if you are outside the UK).

I have a huge collection of Thomson comic annuals going back to the 1950s (one from 1939). Yesterday I had to move annuals and dust shelves (the bibliophiles crack) and just stopped to look at the 1962 and 1965 Beano Annuals....that delayed dusting for a while!

Thomson hasa rich history of characters and its original comic formats were wonderful -adventure, humour...lovely. Anyway, after 1985 the rot seems to have set in with an over all mess. Thomson could have been big even today if it had faith in comics.

I wrote a whole series The DCT Heroes" for the old Comic Bits. I also refer to Thomson action heroes (and Billy Whizz -I keepcalling him "Billy The Whizz" for a good reason!) in numerous posts.

That's a lot for someone 'hating' Thomson. People like to twist or make things up and why people do not just ask me directly I have no idea. Lazyness?

(2) I do not support home grown comics.

Seriously, I was not even going to dignify that but...

I promoted the Small Press and Indie comics in Zine Zone -later Zine Zone International- as well as Comics FX in the US and Amazing heroes -where Hal Hargitt called me a "human dynamo in British comics" and I was also credited with having a lot to do with the 1980s UK Small Press Invasion of the US. I have continued to promote, review (when sent in) and generally push UK Indie/Small Press comics and creators -a number of whom have openly thanked me for helping them.

I am notan egoist so do not like spouting on aboyut what I do.

However that statement is clearly false and easily disproven by anyone. Ask  creators I support about me and do not listen to tripe.

(3) I am paid to promote Cinebook the 9th Art.

Sigh No I am not. I once told publisher, Olivier Cadic, that I would give a negative review if and when he published a book I did not like.  On the whole I've not come across many of their books I dislike but Islandia, as I noted, I have trouble with (read the review).

I have no connection with Cadic or Cinebook of a financial nature and I've not seen the fellas from Cinebook in...6 years?

If I was being paid to review I'd npot be trying to work out what to eat for dinner. Seriously, Royal Baerii or Royal Siberian caviar -its a nightmare to decide which!

There are no paid promotions on CBO....but I am open to deals....

(4) I hate and "regularly diss" Rebellion Studios.

After The Vigilant they ought to be getting more disrespect. However, I do have some of the trade collections of classic comics from them but just have seen nothing new or original from them in ages that weven makes me stop to check it out further.

The lie is that I regularly disrespect the company. I do not. Also, they sell enough books so obviously in this New Age of Illiteracy they are doing fine.  Does my opinion count to the 2000 AD or readers of other Rebellion books? No.

There are a lot of otherthings made up that I've never said or done but these seem to be the main ones.

My question is why these people WANT to create negativity and troublewhen they should be promoting comivcs for fun rather than gathering in Midlands public houses stirring up trouble? You live once: have fun -create and enjoy comics and art!

3 comments:

  1. yep. I agree. Enjoy comics and have fun. Let the assholes say what they want. Just enjoy making comics ! Nice GREEN SKIES. cover for no.3, by the way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover was one of several I did because Green Skies was supposed to be a full length story not three parts. Once I know it all reads okay I'll need to look at covers again.

      Delete
  2. What to do regarding the vapid, alcohol-enfeebled, waste of space that is the human brain. Dennett has something to say, regarding convincing people of any matter. Even if you very carefully, calmly explain yourself, what you do, what you believe in, there is some kind of reset button so that, if you come back upon the subject with them, even if only after a very short period of time, you will find that they are convinced of exactly the opposite! Terry, if one of the world's most quoted philosophers remains vexed by this, I should just chalk it up as being one of those things that many humans are 'good' at. Being wilfully contentious, socially dysfunctional idiots.

    ReplyDelete