PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 4 September 2020

Explain the Difference Between D. C. Thomson and Fleetway Comics

In the past, on CBO and old comic groups, I raised hackles and got some very indignant comments from certain factions when asked by an American member what the difference was between D.C. Thomson and IPC/Fleetway/AP.

Here is my 'offensive' response: "Thomson is rather like DC comics while Fleetway is Marvel comics"

Look at these two covers:

The first one is an old traditionalist type cover that you could fiund from the 1930s onward. Very static when it comes to action even if they are "going over the top".  Look at the second. Detail, great composition and the scene says it all -look at the faces (dog in window included).

So, am I being unfair showing a 1930s/1940s cover compared to one from 1973? Well, the cover price is a BIG clue here. 9p would be 9 pennies whereas pre-decimalisation the cost would have been lower it would also read 9d. You see The symbols 's' for shilling (or more commonly 1/- ) and 'd' for pence derive from the Latin solidus and denarius used in the Middle Ages.

The Lion and Thunder is cover dated 25th August, 1973 and The Victor is cover dated 7th June, 1980.  I knew plenty of kids who would go for a Fleetway comic over a Thomson one every time. I'll get back to The Victor cover shortly but look at the Lion and Thunder: this is typical of the covers from Fleetway which were full of action or promise of action and always seemed more colourful cover-wise but this might have been because Thomson had its own printworks whereas Fleetway could tend to move around for best quality (and cheapest) printing.


Thomson were very staid and conservative and still are. Those dashed Krauts were the ones willing to machine-gun down our brave lads fighting for King and country....all they wanted to do was ask "Jerry" to give up and have some crumpetand tea! It's not that odd since you see it in old movies, too, but when OUR lads were cutting down the Krauts it was bravery against the odds.  Comics and post war propaganda....let's not go there.

Fleetway were far more cool. It introduced anti-heroes and was producing all sorts of action strips set in space, the wild west etc.. But it was also introducing a range of  costumed or masked crime-fighters/adventurers -we didn't have "super heroes" as a tag but we did have Jerry Siegel create the Spider, Gadget Man and Gimmick Kid as well as a few others (rebooted British comics history now crediting others for creations).

Former Managing Editor Gil Page (who was with the company for over 40 years+) noted how the late1970s/early 1980s was to have seen more "Adventure" characters appear but certain people had put the boot in. I only heard of this proposed plan while interviewing Mike Western and then John Cooper which is why I asked Page.

Here is the thing, however, Thomson has a wealth of old characters and it could produce a comic fearturing these but, as seen with Rebellion and its The Vigilant, editors/writers and artists seem to have no idea who these characters are or why they were so popular and still are amongst old fans. The Steel Commando becomes a psychotic killing machine. Adam Eterno is killed in the first few pages. It goes on and on.

Thomson. however, have no interest in doing a revival -it's been proven that the old characters can and do work without "rebooting". Pity.

Now the Victor cover. I still love it!  You see, living with my grandparents (Ma and Bill) there was not a great deal of money but Bill would always get me a comic when he could. Not a regular title but something that caught his eye in Jarman's the newsagents & Tobacconists in Mina Road. One time it was a Thomson comic -The Victor- and I fell in love with the art in one strip. I had no ideawho the artist was. When I saw the strip The Hammer Man I saw the art style again -and on Tough of  the Track.

Lots of cross-hatching and scratchy lines and at first you think "meh" but, when you look at it more closely you can see that these are quite complex drawings. I spotted that as a youngster and I'm guessing other kids did, too.


I have seen some of Rawlings' marine art -a subject that John Cooper excelled at and had a world wide reputation for- and it looks lovely. And Rawlings appears to have done a lot of research for his stripwork. I have had this following page on a disc since...2011! If anyone can tell me where it is from--?

See, started talking comics and I went off in a tangent!

Yes, so Thomson were more conservative and traditionalist with action heroes and more, however,  Amalgamated Press/IPC/Fleetway were seen as the more liberal hip and cool company. 

Although I like both companies output from the past I was, I admit it, a "Fleetway Kid"!

I hope that explains everything? I'm off to read some more old comics!

5 comments:

  1. A pretty fair description imho although I would probably say DCT are more akin to Charlton Comics and Fleetway were DC. I almost always preferred Fleetway's adventure and sports comics to DCT but preferred DCTs humour comics (as a kid) with one or two exceptions both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know -I loved Charlton! Lol! I never liked the sports strips but, oddly, I used to try to vcatch up with The Tough of the Track. I think DCT humour comics were okay but I preferred the ones withmixed content -humour, action etc. Oddly, I think some of the old 1980s Fleetway board members would be thrilled to be labelled as DC Comics like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Jerry Siegel didn't create The Spider. He was the second writer on the feature. The first was Ted Cowan. Siegel was the writer though when the character went from being a villain to being a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting conundrum. It depends which you think was more bland- for want of a better word - Marvel was seen as inovative, whereas DC as conservative. Not always true, but an image. Students arrived. Gyt to go. TTFN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the final part of The Green Skies should be going off to you next week. Please let me know if there is any error or whatever thatmesses things up! Cheers

      Delete