PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 6 September 2020

Time For A Serious Sunday Sermon


"Well,he was always a bit whacky" said one local DJ who had just spotted the story about Bill Oddie while trawling the internet for stuff to make himself sound cool.

ask me WHY I get annoyed when people refer to me as a "nutter" or "mad man". I can call myself that no one else.

I never made it a secret that I got hit bad by depression when I was 11 years old. Never knew what the problem was until I was in my 20s and a friendly doctor (while I was visiting a friend who'd hada complete nervous and physical breakdown) asked me how I was coping? My reaction was "With what?" After an hour of casual chathe told me "You're bi-polar" (my gran's mother may have been locked away through this).

It's a chemical imbalance in the brain,. Never accepted medication for it. 100% of people (especially family) who talk to me do not even realise whether I am going through a bout or not. I use my mind. I know I'mgoing to feel "awful" but then it will pass. Oddly, never affected my work -I just carry on.

At a Bristol Comic Con I was talking to an artist and asked how the depression affected him. He looked shocked (after looking all around to make sure no one had heard -I'm not that crass) and asked how I knew? A thief can spot a thief. An alcoholic can spot an alxcoholic and, if they are paying attention (and I am a people watcher) a depressive can spor a depressive.

Over the years I've known a few artists/writers who suffer in silence even though they should not. Why do they suffer in silence? Because there are people in comics in the UK who will focuss on the depression and use it against someone.

"Well, he has admitted he's mental" or "Everyone knows to leave him well alone -he's psycho" or even "You can't trust or believe a word he says let alone work with him because he has mental problems : he tells everyone"

There is worse. I know because for over 20 years I've had them all thrown at me or bandied around comic forums by people I have never met or had dealings with or could not even be called "casual acquaintances". Now, I get this come back to me I make sure I forward links covering bi-polar or depression.
I've had one person, who I considered a long time friend, use the "irrational" line about me to a publisher but being a moron he accidentally sent the email to me.

I have been present when "creators" have called someone "loony" because they are depressive. I made sure that everyone present was fully aware about depression and added "Yeah, I'm bi-polar: am I a 'loony', too?"

When I can I help by listening to people who are depressed. After 52 years I've picked up a few tips! A young person I will always help because many have no idea what is going on and some seriously think they are losing their minds. On a bus stop, in the shops -if I spot someone I'll start casual conversation. Even a few words can break some of the depression for a person.

We've supposedly come a long way since locking up people with depression in mental asylums. Light medication can help but each person is different. There is no "Preparation H cures all piles!" formula out there.

The ones who use depression against a person show themselves for what they are. To take advantage of someone's depression to create trouble for them is not just beneath contempt but those involved should be publicly shamed.

In comics, however, as "hip" and "cool" as some people pretend to be they back off as soon as someone says "mental illness" and the ghouls are allowed to say and do what they want while others "tut" quietly to themselves. They are cowards pure and simple. And, yres, I've been "advised" not to work with three different artists who all had "mental problems". So I see this sort of thing first hand.

So if someone calls a person a loon, nutter or any other insulting name because they are ill....make sure you set them right (or skulk back into your corner.



Bill Oddie reveals battle with ‘almost fatal’ condition
Bill Oddie reveals battle with ‘almost fatal’ condition

Former Goodies star Bill Oddie has revealed he has been suffering from an “almost fatal” condition this summer.
The 79-year-old conservationist and birdwatcher used Twitter to tell followers he had been “very ill” with “lithium toxicity”.
He wrote: “Just so you know, I have been very ill most of this summer. Lithium toxicity. Almost fatal!
“I am still here but very confused about most things! But then aren’t many of us.
“IT fuddles my brain. Confusion. Will I return? I Really dunno. I do hope so. Please wish me luck. XX.”
The TV presenter had last tweeted on June 22.
According to the NHS, lithium is a type of medicine known as a mood stabiliser.
Too much lithium in the blood can trigger serious side effects, including causing people to lose their appetite and feel sick, lightheaded, drowsy or confused.
It can also lead to blackouts, shaking, muscle weakness, blurred vision and difficulty speaking.
Oddie has previously spoken about suffering from crippling depression, which saw him admitted to a psychiatric hospital in 2009, after he was dropped from the BBC show Springwatch.
The naturalist has also been open about receiving a bipolar diagnosis while in hospital and being helped by a lithium prescription.
Oddie found fame in the 1970s as a member of comic trio The Goodies, alongside Tim Brooke-Taylor and Graeme Garden.

1 comment: