PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 17 February 2015

CBO 31st Comic Strip: LeCorbeau, Crimson Guardian, Pete Forrest and...well, A Geni!

One of those other "lost artists" that I had so much faith in back in the early days of Black Tower was Robert Perris.

I liked his style.  It was a bit raw but showed a lot of promise.  Robert had gotten in touch as he had a strip titled Hanley's Garage.  It was a series so I published the first part.  It could be called "typical slice-of-life" but I could see the potential.

I wanted to re-present certain strips I had drawn and Robert re-drew the origin of Prentiss aka The Mummy (you have read D-Gruppe?) and I liked it and then he drew the second part of Pete Forrest & Geni and I loved it.  In fact key characters to later stories were introduced -though back in 1987 they were merely one-offs.

One is Simon LeCorbeau -a French multi-millionaire at that time and just about to become the multi-billionaire philanthropist who financed the Special Globe Guard, Task Force Europe, South Asian Task Force, Task Force Deutschland and much more.  Of course, back then he was younger and a good few pounds lighter.  A little piece of Black Tower history.

Now, the crimson Guardian.  Well, he later pops up in Krakos: Sands Of Terror though I was never asked about his inclusion.  I was drawing the book and it came to a poinbt where a villain with Egyptian connections was needed and I just drew in old CG.  In fact, I had to check WHY I had included him. Yes, he was acceptable.  I'm glad my subconscious keeps track of these things because I don't!

Though the character's origins are not gone into they will (I hope) as the last time he was seen (at the end of The Cross Earths Caper) he was confronting a much older Pete Forrest.

Robert Perris then simply vanished.  No response to letters and Hanley's never got past issue 1....I know, it gets to look worse and worse for me-artists appear. Work for me and then vanish.  I will not be defending myself in court on this matter!

But, as part of Black Tower's 31st Anniversary celebration here is that Pete Forrest & Geni story but you can see a better quality version when it appears in Black Tower Super Heroes No. 2....whenever that appears.

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment